2019-09-13

Japanese Lesson with Yukki 5 両方とも / both



I've got a new question:
"What I noticed is that 両方 is used a lot with とも, for example in this sentence: 彼はテニスも野球も両方ともできる。 What's the purpose of adding とも together with 両方? Can とも also be left out?"

My answer :

"tomo" is a kind of emphasize for "ryouhou", without "tomo" is also OK, means "both".
 
It was not enough:

"But why would you emphasize ryouhou/both? In English or European languages this doesn't really exist."

 Yes it could be, there is no this kind of word in european language.
There are more and more such words, which has no tranlation in european language in Japanese.
"メタルとアニメ、両方好き。" = simply "I like metal and anime both."
"メタルとアニメ、両方とも好き。" = " I like metal and anime both" in translation, too. I would write BOTH in big letters XD.

I try to explain a little more.

Look the Kanji, 両: both, 方: direction. = can mean "both direction" from Kanjis.
とも=共 (にas a particle, suggests the direction of purpose. In this case, this particle is hidden.)

examples:

テニスも野球も両方とも出来るぞぉ~。すごいだろう。
I can play tennis and baseball BOTH, I am amazing, aren't I?


メタルもアニメも両方とも好きだぜ!まいったか。
I like metal and anime BOTH, I've got you.


ドイツもオランダも両方とも行った。行ってないのは南極だけ。
I visited Germany and Netherland BOTH, where I never visited is only Southpole.

犬も猫も両方ともいます。ドイツのティアハイムは偉い。
There are cats and dogs BOTH. German Tierheim is great.

すしもカレーも両方とも食べたい。超腹減った。
I want to eat sushi and curry BOTH, I am sooo hungry.

右も左も両方ともやばそうだ。動けない。
To right and to left, BOTH looks dangerous. I can not move.
"とも"  puts the accent on these two different things.
As a purpose of AN ACTION (verb) although the two thing are not the same.

The situation is, maybe so: Metal and anime are different things, normaly do not get together. So "i like both "direction (one is to right, other is to left or one is to north the other is to south .. or so"

I never notice, that this "ryouhou tomo" so difficult to understand XD.
Hope you undertdand a little more.

1 Kommentar: